Wednesday, September 3, 2008

P.S.

New key phrase:

"Jeg tale ikke Dansk" = I don't speak Danish

OH and Danish has 28 vowel sounds. I think I may look into joining the choir because they sing all in Danish and I really wanna try a round, pure "æ" which sounds like the "ay" in "day" but more hard, forward, and stretched. You kind of make an orange slice with the inside of your mouth, I think. So basically the opposite of round and pure.

Obervations:
a) Gender difference (surprise): Danish male youth are much more willing to be physically expressive than the American male youth I've been exposed to. I don't mean huggy or touchy, but I have seen several young Danish males who involve their whole body with whatever it is they're saying. They jive, boogie, get happy with Jesus, gesticulate, and act out various parts of their narratives. It's great to see, and I bet it would be more fun if I could understand what on earth they're saying. They include in this noises that no American of similar age or gender identity would be caught dead making. I've heard falsetto singing, "vroom vroom" ing, noises that may or may not have been actual speech but were still in falsetto, and some other stuff too. Two kids, for instance, perhaps 12 years old, went from having rather adult posture and body language to sprinting past me on imaginary motor cycles. Brilliant.
b) No one has a stroller. Everyone takes their babies out, and they all have enormous Baby Carriages. High tech, hard core, could-probably-plow-a-field baby carriages. They're breathtaking and more than a little intimidating. I'm wondering if it has to do with being able to take your kids with you even when it's sleeting and blustery.

1 comment:

meguna said...

you should get a picture of the high tech baby carriages and post it!