Monday, September 29, 2008

Glucose

Some quick notes on sweets and sugar in Denmark:

a) these people have a massive sweet tooth. In terms of size, the sheer volume of candy Americans produce and consume is probably far in excess of what the Danes do, but when you talk about frequency of candy-store appearance and the quality of candy, Denmark, I would guess, comes out ahead.

b) Gummi candy is very popular here. Kiosks, which are sort of like corner gas station food marts but everywhere, often have whole walls dedicated to gummi products. There are a variety of texture and flavor available to choose from.

c) ICE CREAM. if you like ice cream, come to Denmark! People eat ice cream ALL THE TIME and it's super delicious high quality ice cream and it comes in all sorts of flavors. I'm trying to try as many as I can without developing diabetes, and here's some highlights:
green apple
creme caramel (paired with green apple! Yum!)
chocolate. A vanilla flavor (hah!) but incredibly dense and satisfying
Straciatella - an italian version of cookies and cream. Fantastic.
Tiramisu

I am still waiting to check raspberry, watermelon, lemon, kiwi, and some others off of the list.

d) The Danish people have an affinity for licorice, one variety of which is made with, I believe, ammonium phosphate (Chloride?). For those of us unfamiliar with this chemical, it's a deadly cleaning agent. There are upwards of 40 Danish deaths each year from incidents involving consumption of this licorice.

e) Soda: All year is Passover in Denmark. What I mean by this is that they only sell Passover Coke/Pepsi/Soda here. Passover Coke is slang for soda/coke that is made the old fashioned way, with cane sugar instead of corn syrup. It is, in my opinion, far more delicious than the sodas that use the syrup.

f) there are bakeries spread all over and it's a little dangerous for me and my girlish figure.

Burgeoning addictions: gummi candy. Crap.

OH and I learned that red meat stays in your colon or some scary stuff like that. You can get it cleansed out (purged? Vacuumed? flushed?) but to think that a portion of every hamburger you eat doesn't ever leave is a little creepy to me.

3 comments:

Rachel Friedman said...

jacob,

i love ice cream so much! and candy! i'm so jealous! i have to admit, this is the first time i have gone on your blog, but i was thinking of you because i interviewed with cal/ west today (to teach in ca!!) , and then i remembered that i bookmarked his blog ages ago but forgot to check!

i'm glad you're doing well, and i miss you!

love, rachel

Jessica said...

if you wanted to know that about red meat, you could have just asked me :)

/I want the italian cookies and cream.

when I was in India, my nuns didn't understand my sweet tooth so much.

Ah well, I love you and stuff.

Dazza said...

licorice!

Bring me some!!!