Sunday, November 30, 2008

Jeg skal have en fransk hotdog med ketchup

As you may have guessed, that means "I will have a french hotdog with ketchup"

Which I successfully said! And then I got a french hotdog with ketchup!

Dotting Copenhagen are these things called "pølsevogn" or "sausage wagon." They are, basically, hot dog trailers, but very Danish and traditional. Or at least a trademark of the city. You can get a variety of hot dogs, some wrapped in bacon, either sans bread, in a bun, or fransk-style. This is basically if someone decapitated and then disemboweled a pig-in-a-banket. You have a hotdog-sheath made from bread, which is heated, and then you order your dog and topping. The topping is squirted into the sheath, and then the pølsevogn person (each wagon has a specific person attached to it - they're real businesses!) slides the sausage in and voila! Delicious treat!

Traditionally, I am given to understand that they come with mayonnaise, ketchup, spicy ketchop, remoulade, and fried onions, but I may be missing some or making up some key ingredients.

Bottom line, I'm really happy because I ordered one in Danish and the man responded in Danish without batting an eye!!! Now given that these wagons are plastered throughout guidebooks, I would imagine that he gets all sorts of people butchering Danish and so is probably more used to it than the average Dane. Regardless, it was reassuring to attempt Danish and get a positive response.

Although, I've noticed (and had this confirmed with other people studying Danish) that we are slowly rewiring our brains to privilege Danish over our other half-assed second languages. Specifically, Spanish. I find myself trying to think in Spanish and inventing a weird Danglish-Spanish hybrid.

No comments: