Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Something rotten in my fridge...in Denmark

Some more things I've noticed...

preservatives don't exist here, or at least not as we know them. I still haven't readjusted my food timer for real food, and so I'm still occasionally surprised to find that after a reasonable period of time, my food decays. Not so fun, but you can definitely taste and feel the difference. Products don't make me feel like my insides are turning into plastic.

Bolstered by Obama's win, I felt ok going to McDonald's. Once. It's an entirely new experience - everything is made with real food, so the chicken tastes and feels like actual chicken meat! This trend continues with other American products. M&M's, for instance, are made with not-awful chocolate.

Makes me kind of bitter that as an American, I have to fly over a thousand miles to get quality American products...but. Enough of that! Speaking of Obama, his face was plastered on every major newspaper in the city November 5th. Hardly a surprise, given the importance people everywhere attached to the election. I saw a lot of Obama related facebook statuses written in Danish.

Cell phones are SO different! Not only are the vast majority of phones not flip phones, but I have heard only one ringtone that's a song! And when I heard it, the guy who picked up spoke English with an African-esque accent. So he probably wasn't Danish.

They have thin slabs of chocolate that you can melt over toast. WHY don't we have that in America?

I tried a beer called Beer Geek Breakfast. It's made by a Danish microbrewery, and it's so named because they put coffee in it! It's delicious!!! Dark and heavy and kind of roasty.

I have heard more trashy American pop music here than I ever did in the States. Granted I go out more here, but still. Stop it, America! And never have Katy Perri host an awards show again!

Lastly, there is an International Fair going on until Sunday in the sqaure near my building and it ROCKS. There are tons of free samples, and the following highlights:
-Dutch cheese stand. PESTO cheese, and Garlic and Nettle cheese. OMG.
-French bread stand. All sorts of pastries plus baguettes. Pair well with the Dutch cheese.
-Wurst people with a large circular barbecue, making it sort of like fat German Mongolian Barbecue. Curry Wurst is one of the most satisfying meals I've had.
-Burger people with the following options: Beef, venison, water buffalo, wild board, kangaroo!!!
-Candy stand the size of a small island featuring many fudges and gummi Smurfs
-numerous sausage people
-lots of freshly made cookies and cakes and goodies!

needless to say, I am not buying groceries this week and instead have decided to eat my way through the fair, spending entirely too much money in the process.

No comments: